November 22, 2012

MT Mountains vs. The Small Shit

I love coming home to Montana.  True, it's not where I grew up, and my parents only spend 5 months a year in this home, but of all the places they've lived and all the homes they travel between, I love this one the most.

This year, although my sisters and my fabulous nieces and nephews aren't with me, I do get to spend the day with Cowboy (see previous posts) and I've had a truly wonderful time out here; it's snowed, I've seen moose and elk and fox all on our property; I've gone out to dinner with the neighbors and met new friends down in the next town over (Anaconda); I've spent time with Cowboy and we've gone shopping and seen a movie and cooked dinner and talked about life and our futures and our dreams.  I even got to spend the night with him.  OK, pervs, not THAT kind of spending the night.  We were hanging with the neighbors and cooking a late dinner of spaghetti and drinking and having a great time, and at midnight I made the call not to try and drive up over the pass in the pitch dark and snow.  So we got out sleeping bags, and like a gentleman, he let me choose where I wanted to crash.  He laid down beside me for a while and we talked until we fell asleep.  That's it.  It was really nice, if you must know.  I haven't gotten to just hang out and truly sleep next to a great guy in a while, without all sorts of weird shit getting in the way. Like sex.  Like I said - weird shit. :)  Cowboy is mindful that I live 2500 miles away, so why get tangled up too deeply in emotion, when I'm just going to get on a plane again tomorrow?

But never mind that.  Today - today he's here with my parents and myself.  Today he's in my house, and with my family, and he's gonna try to choke down what I make, and he's being gracious and kind and coming to spend time with me, even though it must be nerve-wracking - even at our age - to "meet the parents", formally.  He's doing it though, and I am thankful for that.  I am thankful for him, and for his friendship.  You hit my age, and you realize when you're lucky enough to have a friend, how precious - and truly few and far between  - they are.

I'm thankful for it all, really.  Family, friends, work, my karate school and my karate family, and this  - this opportunity to just sit here and type whatever I am feeling, whatever I am thinking.  I watch what is going on in the world around me, and I realize that I am truly blessed.  If you're reading this, so are you.

In saying that, I'm very thankful to the men and women who protect this country, and to their families and communities.  Not sure if any soldiers or first responders or IC folks read this, but PLEASE know that I honor your sacrifice and I thank you for loving this nation enough that you go out and do what you do.  I sometimes shudder at the direction I think this country is going in, and the selfish and rather meaningless, empty lives I think so many people are gravitating towards... BUT today?  Today I'm just thankful to be here......

And so as I sit here, looking out over the silent valley and up toward the 12,000 feet peaks outside my backyard, I thank God for everything.....  and I'll go back to sweating all the small shit again, tomorrow....

Happy Thanksgiving....
~phnx65

2 comments:

Brutalism said...

You, too. Im feeling particularly grateful this holiday season, in part due to reading others posts about things for which they are grateful. Happy holidays!

Hilarity in Shoes said...

Loved this post! Go you. And happy holidays.